Reply from [email protected] - Other (including pre-service teachers, private consultants, other non-school based roles)
The information below taken from the portal (https://www.nccd.edu.au/wider-support-materials/which-students-are-included-nccd-under-definitions) should answer your question; specifically the text in bold:
Students with disability as defined under the DDA and the Standards are in mainstream or regular schools as well as special schools and specialist support classes and include:
- students who have disability formally diagnosed by a health or allied health practitioner
- students who may not have a formal disability diagnosis but have impairment that requires an adjustment or can be supported through quality differentiated teaching
- students with intellectual, physical, sensory and social/emotional disability as well as students with difficulties in learning or behaviour due to disability
- students who are gifted and talented and who are impacted by disability.
Besides how disability is attributed to a student, the NCCD portal also details the following requirements for inclusion:
- the student’s impairment meets the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA) broad definition of disability and
- the functional impact of the student’s disability results in the school actively addressing or supporting the student’s specific individual education needs arising from their disability within quality differentiated teaching practice and/or monitoring the student, or providing a supplementary or higher level of adjustment or support.” (https://www.nccd.edu.au/wider-support-materials/which-students-are-included-nccd-under-definitions)
- There is evidence at the school that the student has been provided with adjustment/s for a minimum period of 10 weeks of school education (excluding school holiday periods) in the 12 months preceding the NCCD reference date.
If the above links do not help with the answer to your question, or you have a specific case/scenario in mind, it is advised that you reach out to your state/jurisdiction key contact. The details can be found at https://www.nccd.edu.au/help-and-support/key-contacts, however feel free to contact [email protected] if you require any assistance with this.